So much changed during the course of 2016 we wanted to revisit this post, and provide you with some new information.
As of January 1, 2017 Gateway Medical Equipment is no longer accepting new insurance claims.
What does that mean for you? If you would like to see great consumer mobility options at great prices, we’d encourage you to give us a try. We have some really neat products that can help you live the healthy, active lifestyle you want.
For our friends and customers who require the specialized rehab seating and mobility, the care and skill of an ATP (Assistive Technology Professional) in helping to select and fit solutions, and a company able to work through the complex process of billing your insurance we recommend American Seating and Mobility.
American Seating and Mobility has served thousands of rehab mobility customers across the Pacific Northwest for over 15 years. We believe that you’ll find that American Seating and Mobility has the same commitment to quality service and customer care you’ve come to expect from Gateway Medical Equipment.
If you’d like to know more don’t hesitate to give us a call, or call American Seating and Mobility at (877) 339-1234.[/fusion_content_box][/fusion_content_boxes]
Acquiring a power chair through insurance doesn’t have to be an unpleasant process. We pride ourselves in providing excellent, personal customer service and will walk you through the entire process, from initial phone call to delivery and set-up.
Medicare requires a face-to-face evaluation with your physician specifically to discuss your mobility limitations. During this appointment your physician will need to address the basic required charting guidelines that are listed below. We recommend contacting Gateway Medical Equipment before your physician face-to-face evaluation. This will ensure your doctor is aware of the most current charting guidelines.
Medicare/Private Insurance coverage Criteria for Power Mobility Devices (PMD’s)
The following basic coverage criteria must be met for a power mobility device to be covered:
- The patient has a mobility limitation that significantly limits their ability to accomplish their activities of daily living in the home, within a reasonable time frame.
- The mobility limitation cannot be resolved sufficiently or safely by the use of a cane or walker.
- The patient does not have sufficient upper extremity function to self-propel a manual wheelchair in the home to perform mobility related activities of daily living. This can be due to lack of strength, endurance, range of motion, coordination, presence of pain, deformity or absence of one or both upper extremities.
Face to Face Mobility Examination
A face-to-face examination with your physician is required prior to prescribing a power mobility device.
The coverage criteria must be documented in the patient’s progress notes through your face to face examination of the patient. If the coverage criteria cannot be addressed in full during your examination, you may refer the patient to a Licensed/Certified Medical Professional (LCMP), who has experience and training in mobility evaluations to perform part of the face to face examination. You must review this report and indicate agreement in writing on the report and sign and date it.
The progress notes should include:
- Clinical progression
- Weight, Height
- Past use of walker, and manual wheelchair, POV (power operated vehicle) or Power Chair
- Sitting and standing balance
- Presence of abnormal tone or deformity of arms, legs, or trunk
- Transferring between a bed, chair and PMD (power mobility device)
- Provide information on distance walked, speed and balance
Gateway Medical Equipment makes it easy for you!
Call today and arrange for a complimentary mobility consultation with our RESNA Certified Assistive Technology Professional.
Our friendly, trained specialist is committed to providing superior attention to detail throughout the qualification and selection process.
You can be confident that the process will be easy with our help in the equipment selection, delivery, and final fitting of the device.
We provide local service after the sale with industry trained technicians to help with maintenance and repairs.
Accredited by the Compliance Team, Inc.
“The Company with Heart”